worth a thousand words: pictures we love

worth a thousand words: pictures we love
higgins family ready for THE BOSS

17 July 2008

12.

with a yard as large as ours i knew i had to find space to try and grow some vegetables. i have always hoped that i would grow a green thumb. i have tried container gardening over the years (mainly flowers & one tomato plant that yielded zero tomatoes) and love the feeling you get from putting your hands in the dirt and planting something beautiful.

when the landscaper came to redo our lawn this spring i asked him to leave me a small plot for a garden. he left me a small round mound where i planted jalepeno, 3 types of tomatoes, zucchini, rosemary, basil and lemon verbena. it's coming along quite nicely and i am already planning to do it bigger and better next year with the knowledge i've gained this year.

the original plants, may 2008

i have some jalepenos that are ready to pick, some tomatoes that are coming along and i was able to use a few sprigs of basil before the rabbits got to it. the lemon verbena is beautiful and fragrant and i am hopeful that zucchini flowers will give us a few zucchini.

the plants today - july 2008

jalepenos

tomatoes

gardening is good for the soul. being outside and getting your hands in the dirt makes you feel good, a part of something bigger. i am so glad i thought to put it on my list.

8 comments:

denise, the honey crew said...

awesome!!!!!!!!!!! nice growth!! i agree harvesting veggies feels really good on lots of different levels!! i have a YUMMY jalopeno chicken recipe i need to locate and send to you (or do you have it?). seeing your jalopenos reminded me of it, and i haven't cooked it in soooooooo long but kind of remember us having it in boston once?? need to make that again!!!

The Giorgios said...

I do not have a green thumb hence all the fake plants and flowers in my house (which I know is a decorating no-no, but faux is a plant killers must). I do like pulling weeds, but again, I am a plant KILLER... Rob says trees weep when I walk past. Enjoy the garden, B, I'm so happy it's coming along as you had hoped! AND, congrats on clipping 3 things off your list in one week!

The Giorgios said...

Oh man, Tristan's bruises really show in the tub photo. Yikes!

Anonymous said...

love the pic of the day, especially the melted choc. on wil's belly.

the garden looks great, i know i commented on it at the july 4th hoopla, you are doing a wonderful job with it. may your garden continue to grow.

me, dummy said...

i also love digging in the dirt and growing things is very rewarding...HOWEVER...i also tend to kill things. i feel you jess. and i'd love to have your help pulling weeds, which is about all i can do successfully but do not enjoy.

it looks awesome, b. i love it!

Rita Jr. said...

pic of the day:

tristan: do i eat the cookie or the foot? cookie or foot? can i eat both? how 'bout both? Wil, what do you th...what the? oh my, just like mommy said - higgins mentality - "just do it!"...oh well...hey wil - wanna to take a
bath together? yeah..this is cool.


nice veggies!

Indivero Family said...

The garden looks great, good job. I am pretty good at keeping flowers alive, no fake plants in my house. But I have never tried my hand at a veggie garden, I am scared. My mom always has an amazing garden and i'm afraid i'll dissapoint her.

I will start small and put in on my list for next year.

Anonymous said...

Impressive!

picture of the day

picture of the day
merry christmas & happy new year! we'll be back in 2009!