worth a thousand words: pictures we love

worth a thousand words: pictures we love
higgins family ready for THE BOSS

07 November 2008

courting mommy

my dear friend rita sent me an article on mommy dating this week with the question, "is it really like this?" SIGH. yes, rita, it's really like this. allow me to illustrate my point.

i am a member of a social organization called newcomer's club that brings people from four towns together for women's events, men's events, couples's events, family events, charity events...you get the idea. we joined last year but after having wil i was not emotionally ready to tackle meeting new people. this year i have been to one of the women's events and i requested that wil and i be added to a playgroup. i was excited about the playgroup for several reasons but mainly because two dear friends (denise & heather) have uber-successful playgroups where moms AND kids have become great friends. i wanted that for myself...and for wil.

assignments came out about 6 weeks ago and i was placed in a group with seven other women with children all around wil's age. i was so excited but as not to seem desperate i waited to see if anyone else would jump before i plunged. no one did (which should've been a sign) so i offered to host the first group at my house. after about 1,000 emails back and forth we all agreed that thursday's from 9:30-11:00 worked for all of us. i was excited. all seven women were coming and i just knew lifelong friends for both wil and me were going to show up on my door step.

the night before four of the seven cancelled. still hopefull i got up before 6a on the morning of the big day and scrubbed the area that we'd be "playing" in within an inch of it's life. i was working on adrenalin and hope. i took a shower, took great care with my hair and got dressed up...but not too up...again, didn't want to seem desperate. i got wil dressed up too and by 8:45 we were ready and waiting. and waiting. and waiting so long, in fact, that wil gave up.

you can probably see where this is headed. my first guest arrived at 10:15. she was very nice but, honestly, i cannot remember her name. she did not want coffee or water or coffee cake. she hovered over her daughter and kept pulling out toys that she brought from home for her daughter to play with. i am sure she is a lovely, wonderful person but for lack of a better way to say it...she wasn't my type. my second guest arrived frazzled and apologetic at 10:50. she also didn't want coffee (or water...or coffee cake) and her child, the oldest of the group, ran all over the house without her supervision. at one point, she actually said, "i wonder where he is..." WHA? in her defense, she was pregnant and the kid was BEYOND high energy but, jeez, wow. again, she is probably a wonderful, lovely, person but, while more my type, i just wasn't feeling it. the third person never showed up and the aforementioned left at 11:05.

disappointed does not begin to describe how i felt. i was completely deflated. look, it's not that i don't have friends here. i do, great ones. this is not about wanting to replace those friends...just add to them. and, honestly, this was a chance for me to make friends on my own. it was the first time since having wil that i was willing to put myself out there and it flopped. luckily, i am not a quitter. i'm in this game to stay and, eventually, i know i'll find a winning team.

so, rita, the overwhelming answer to your question is YES. it's hard to meet moms, it's hard to meet men, it's hard to make friends sometimes, too. even if you have a great network naturally in place there will still be a time when you've gotta swim out there on your own and it's hard. the thing that keeps me going, however, is that with perseverance you will eventually make great, lifelong friends that will totally get it when you share stories just like this.

if you can stomach it...check out my photos.

11 comments:

lil' sahmy's mommy said...

Poor thing. Both of you. It is TERRIBLY hard to meet moms you like. It's hard to maintain your relationships with your friends that aren't moms--you still love each other, but they don't always get it. I've found that friendships with people that were always a little "distant" (aka friends in the outside circle) have become a little closer than 3, 5, 10 years ago b/c we now have the common bond of children. I even see it as these somewhat distant friends are becoming pregnant and have children, our friendships strengthen and become closer. This is such a great thing! You already know and like these people and now you're in the same club! You certainly aren't replacing your inner circle either because they love you and know your history and who you were before the Mom thing happened.
Teagan started dance class this September (a 9 month commitment) and I was looking forward to maybe making a new friend who also had a 3-4 year old daughter... and we'd car pool and do family things, etc. I do not consider myself to be a snob (maybe a little judgemental), but good lord, from day 1 I didn't see it happening. The class is full of whiskey tango TPTs. I don't see this dance thing lasting past the June recital. Maybe soccer moms are more my level.

Anonymous said...

Bets, that is such a sad story. And your spread looked great, such a good hostess. And the look on Wil's face.......exasperation comes to mind! Those rude women don't deserve you and Wil!!!!

Anonymous said...

Hang in there! You are going to meet those mom's that are like you and you will be able to share this story with them and have a laugh about it! I know Wil will have those good childhood friends that we had!

Indivero Family said...

Bets-
I sympathize, I too am trying to meet new people. Its just not easy. I'm sorry it did not work out. I would've come and eaten the cake with you.

Maybe the next playdate you host with be for me, you and Jess. I promise that I would show up on time and to not do my hair or makeup ;)

p.s.- i'm in love with your house.

kyle said...

Maybe you can find your match of moms on eharmony. I hear its a great place to meet people.

Rita Jr. said...

B -
Thanks for the "deep in thought" post. You've given me a lot to turn over in my mind and i'm inspired by your determination. I have always admired your willingness to go "out there" and not be derailed by anything. things happen for a reason, and at the right time. but we always need to give those things a possible forum in which to happen - you certainly did that by opening your home and your friendly hearts! it'll happen when it's supposed to.

even though i am not a mom, i would have arrived first and polished off that cake! and played with wil.

I have to laugh and think that if this were my sister, she would have been calling me every 5 minutes and we would have been laughing our tails off at the goofiness of it all...after b*^ching about all the prep going into it!

Hang in there, girl. Love you.
Rita

me, dummy said...

dude, that is brutal. i remember that day because of your facebook status. i would be in tears.

props to you for trying though...i'm not a joiner and i'm sure i'm missing out on some great opportunities to meet moms.

and i would've joined rita belly up at the table for the coffee cake...and i would've brought wine!

Anonymous said...

kyle's comment is HILARIOUS! That's my man!

The Giorgios said...

Well, my friend, you know I have several stories just like these and I, too, admire your determination. I have reached a 'yeah, whatever' mindset with regards to mommy dating. At first, excited, but failed playdate after failed playdate, just like singles dating, I started to snear at the average Mom pick-up line, "we should get the kids together." Just this week, as a matter of fact, a Mom from Ry's old school (where I'm now taking Tristan) said to me, "Ben would love to see Ryan. Let's get together Thursday. I'll email you." I said, "okay." No email ever arrived. Nothing. Not even a 'oh, I'm sorry. Things are hectic.' Like the article states, there is more to factor in than just you and one other person. There's the kids and husbands, too. So many times I like a kid, but not the mom and vice versa. Or, more destroying, is liking both, but never being brought into the "group." As with any form of dating, I'm pretty much going to just relax and let it happen. Yes, I still put myself out there, but I guess I just expect much less and I walk away far less disappointed.

Anonymous said...

bets, sorry for your luck, how rude that the ones who showed up didn't have the respect to call and let you know they would be late.

oh and by the way the wegman's coffee cake looks great in your glass dish. (and people she is right the cake is awesome, had one myself)

denise, the honey crew said...

sigh. even this post i know took a lot of energy. it's hard. it will happen because you are beyond a fun, generous person. you are a magnet to your friends, so once that word gets out to moms in shrewsbury you'll then have the overwhelming task of having too many playdates, etc. keep putting yourself out there. you are a mom catch!!!

picture of the day

picture of the day
merry christmas & happy new year! we'll be back in 2009!