worth a thousand words: pictures we love

worth a thousand words: pictures we love
higgins family ready for THE BOSS

03 June 2008

the friendly skies


howdy y'all...i am posting from 611 north 19th, lamesa, texas - my childhood home. yeeehaw! (thanks mom & dad for use of the computer and internet...welcome to the electronic age!)

yesterday wil & i took the journey from NJ to TX*. it was an all day journey that started at 9:30a and ended when pip & pop met us at lubbock international at 6:00p. for once in my flying life everything - and i mean EV-ER-Y-THING - went smoothly. all flights were on time, all luggage was in tact (the inside of my suitcase was tossed like a salad but that's another story), and biggest and best of all, my sweet baby never made a peep on either flight or in the airport. go wil!

each time we boarded a plane we were greeting with apprehensive smiles...people wanted to like us, they wanted to believe that we wouldn't make their flight a living hell, they really did, but they just couldn't trust us. we showed them. wil coo'd and ooo'd and laughed and slept. disembarquing each plane we were showered with praise and compliments (well, wil was...i was just the handler at that point). i felt like we'd given the people the best gift of their day...flying with a baby that they hardly knew was there.

i have no disilluisions that this will happen again in the future. i am sure we will get our turn to sweat it out as he wails for an entire 3.5 hour flight. we'll ruin everyone's day and disembarq with glares and heavy sighs. and, you know, i am okay with that. he is a baby afterall. but i will always be grateful to him for the first time. i was nervous and he gave me a gift. yesterday at least there was nothing to be nervous about. thanks wil...you rock.

*thank you to my aunt and uncle, shara dee & larry, for flying the first leg with me. i couldn't have done it with you. love you!

36 comments:

denise, the honey crew said...

fabuloso!!! so glad to hear this!!! can't wait to see you next week! i hope my children will give ryan just as smooth of a ride. i'm thinking ryan should be the driver, and i'll be the dvd changer outer, passifier putter inner, snack giver, etc etc etc. unless ryan would like that role??

i just booked my massage for next thursday, you better book yours!

see you in one week!!!! maybe there will be a good showing at the drive thru!

me, dummy said...

i'm highly impressed. wil is a superstar already. i've flown with henry once and he was great too...until we landed and had to sit on the tarmack (sp?) for TWO HOURS because of lightning. he could not be contained. as we were leaving the airport, everyone on our flight said goodbye to him, having gotten to know him INTIMATELY during the delay.

The Giorgios said...

Yippy, Wil! He's a great baby, so I'm not at all surprised.

Glad you guys had smooth sailing. Miss you already.

Rita Jr. said...

Man, it's pretty dim over here on the east coast without that bright light shining out of Shrewsbury. 'course I saw a huge splash of light on the weather map on tv this morning over Texas and knew you had landed safely.

Glad you had a smooth travel day.

R

Anonymous said...

welcome home betsy and wil! i can't wait to get home to see both of you. enjoy your time with mom and dad and i'll see you soon! oh, and save the chicken spagetti until i get home! : D

Rita Jr. said...

oooooooooh, chicken spaghetti. mmmmmmmmmmm, chicken spaghetti.

aunt lou - have a bite for me! and give Wil a kiss from me, wouldya? It's a good thing his cheeks are so big to field all the smooches. I'm convinced that's why he was born late - he was developing his "enhanced cheek magnetism technology" have you heard of this? kids these days - they are amazing what they can do...

now i forget what i was back here to write - the chicken spahetti distracted me! I clearly need to go eat lunch.... :)

Anonymous said...

I don't know what you did to deserve Wil...really.

Love ya and hope to meet WonderBoy while y'all are in the greatest state in the Union.

Anonymous said...

Well I would like to comment on a couple of the posts…
Yes I will drive…..I know the return trip will be just as good with Wil (I hope)…..and I for Charlotte’s comment I will just say… ME ;)

I miss you guys very much….our home just seems like a house, really nice house because of Betsy but you know what I mean.

The Giorgios said...

This is the gazillionth time I've checked your blog today. I think an intervention might be in order.

Anonymous said...

Yea, Wil!!!!!!!!!!!! Glad you guys got to Texas safely and uneventful. Enjoy your stay and the time spent with family and friends. HI, mom and dad Wilkes, see you guys in july. Can't wait.

xoxo.... tia

Rita Jr. said...

apparently jessica and i are in a bad way today....i'd like to comment on the TX pic of the day. As I prepare to hop in my car and drive home, I've decide I would like to learn how to "Drive friendly - the Texas Way"...could you post instructions? that could come in handy up here in MA.

jessica - same time, same place tomorrow? cool, mon...cool.

R

me, dummy said...

jessica - if you find a b.a. meeting, please sign me up. i'll check back in 5 min to see if you've posted a response. and then again in an hour. and then 4 or 5 times tonight. and tomorrow.

oh look...betsy's blog has stopped being about betsy and now it's about us. rock on!

The Giorgios said...

We can start our own b.a., but since I'm all the way in NJ and Rita is in MA and Emily is in TX, we'll have to do it via BLOG.

the higgins family said...

okay - you guys are nutso. not to disappoint of COURSE i am commenting on my own post to tell you all that i am checking ALL of your blogs (rita & tia you both need a blog ASAP; emily you are WHACK in the best way; jess 2 posts, 1 day...WTF?; denise is inspiring me to cook even so far from my own kitchen; ryan i miss you more than words...do you need a blog?) obsessively (including mine and i post to mine so i know there is no new content.)

anyway, i love you guys and am so filled with love reading these comments. you are my best, best friends and i call you "the crew"...ryan always knows i am referring to you when i say, "i didn't tell anyone but the crew..." so, HUGE LOVE...big kisses...a lot of reunion hugs in order. and, hey, this is on my list...girls trip.

i see rita, jess, denise, tia, emily, betsy on a trip in 2009. let's really plan this now and find a travel agent that we can pay as we plan....ryan, can i borrow some money? :)

Rita Jr. said...

awww, betsy - you're the besty! : )
love ya back!

Anonymous said...

Wil's a superstar and will not disappoint on future flights...heck Lily never did-Scotland, Italy, the Caribe and back and never anything but smiles and stick-on airline wings (btw, sidebar-really, they had to get rid of the airline wing pins because a 3 year old was going to hijack a plane with them?!?! REALLY??)

On another note, we visited Lucy 2x today, she was THRILLED to see us, Lily gave her a treat(or 5) and kept saying, where's Wil? I guess she thinks Lucy is more than responsible enough to look after Wil on her own. Good to know for future reference or if I need to go out in the next week or so, I will just drop Lily by the middle room, leave some snacks, lock up, and be back in an hour or so...:)

the hood's not the same without you...we put out TONS of bulk trash last night and most of it was gone by noon...and I had no one to tell about it...I think I called Alistair 5x today and he got a little sick of it!

Hi to your rents...smooches to Wil...

me, dummy said...

yo b...i think you've been drinking because you're so full of love. as luck would have it, so have i and I LOVE YOU RIGHT BACK.  it figures that i'm bonding with your friends...you always did have the best taste in friends...too bad you, me, rita, jess and tia couldn't live out our other dream together...the amazing race.  if they will accept a party of five (so much material THERE), who will eat the gross thing?  i'm out...

denise, the honey crew said...

i'm in on the girl trip! whenever, wherever. i spare no expense...ha i wish! rita and i vote vt! :-)

The Giorgios said...

I'm lovin' all the lovin'!

the higgins family said...

rereading my comment it does appear that i was drinking but, honestly, i wasn't! a few things to clear up:

1) jess - i realized in night (yes, i am awake in the middle of the night thinking about blogs) that you did NOT post twice yesterday...i lost monday traveling so i thought you did. you must've thought i was nutso.

2) girls trip is not on my list...it's on denise's list. all the obsessive blogging and blog checking has fried my brain and i don't even know what i want - or who i am - anymore. good lord.

3) the love was absolutely real. girlfriends get you through and i am so lucky to have you all.

shout out to heather whom i also love...thanks for taking good care of lucy. i wish i had been there to witness the bulk trash looting. i am sure that woman in the gold car took her fair share. and, by the way, i think it's hilarious that lily is asking for wil. does this mean ryan and i can go on a trip by ourselves and leave lucy in charge?

love you all...mean it. maybe i am extra lovey because i have some rest. xoxoxox

Rita Jr. said...

My name is Rita, and I am a blog-aholic.

Phew...first step - remembering my name. what? someone behind me is mumbling something about acceptance or admitting. Yes, I can accept that my name is Rita, and admit it as well. Geez...some people. How did I get here today anyway?

I'd be down for a girls trip too - and yes, Denise, - VT!! : )

Betsy - boomerang...love you right back.

R

Anonymous said...

Welcome BACK to Texas Betsy, and welcome Wil (for the first time). I hope this is the start of many, many summer trips for Wil to his grandparents.

I will see you next Monday!

denise, the honey crew said...

EMILY!!!!!!!!!!!! where's the love?? you completely left me out of the party of five freaking amazing race gig. you better watch it, i have something on you - dance faker! i'll even eat the gross thing.

me, dummy said...

dude, my bad. i was drinking - that's my excuse. so party of SIX it is. and thank GOD somebody will be there to eat the gross thing. i'll do all the stuff with heights and maybe even the camel things.

Anonymous said...

OMG!!!!! you people need to pick up the phone soon and just call and talk about it...... I can't believe how many comments are on here. when i looked at it i almost fell over with excitment. this has to be the most comments ever on one thing. thats great. i love it.

Anonymous said...

after finally reading all the new posts since mine last night, i also love all the lovin, and am totally in for the girls trip, denise can't wait to see you again, and jessica haven't seen you for awhile and everyone else can't wait to meet you.....hugs and kisses-tia

Anonymous said...

girls, i am young and fun and could bring all sorts of excitment to this "girls trip!" denise, i think i proved that last time we were together..."ALL SET FORD, ALL SET!" auntie tia last time we went out i wore maternity clothes, emily...your one crazy lady, and rita, we have e-mailed but a meeting face to face is in order! soooo, am i in or am i out!?

Anonymous said...

lou, you are so in on my account. anyone who wears maternity clothes (because thats there only option) when they are not prego just to be able to go to a party and have a lot of fun, shows me you really are in it for the fun. can't wait to see you either in july.

ok here we my name is tia, and i also am a blog-aholic. damn it.....
you can obviously see how many times i have check the site in a very short time frame.

The Giorgios said...

Aunt Lou, did you forget me or are you planning on bumping me for my spot? Be careful how you respond, my 4 year old has a white belt.

The Giorgios said...

I decided to comment again just to make an even 30 comments...I know Betsy has a thing for even numbers.

Anonymous said...

jess! i just wanted to save the best for last! NO! i did not forget you...well, actually i did but it was not intentional! looks like the trip is COMPLETE! by the way, your son better not bring out his black belt on me, i taught him how to work his magic on lily! which reminds me about HEATHER! heather...i forgot about you? oh dear!

do i have everyone now!?

Rita Jr. said...

oh hey - i'm just passing through on my way to the kitchen...anyone need a drink? or coffee / tea? no? all set?

okay...hmm? yeah - betsy's over there talking to someone...k - i'll be right back...

Anonymous said...

rita, while your up i'll take a nice cold one in a frosty mug! thanks!

the higgins family said...

this is insane. i don't even know where to go from here. i think i should do a post about the post with the most comments. it's been fun and i said, OMG, aloud today when i saw that there were 33 comments. i am commenting to make it 34...as jess knows...i have a thing for even numbers.

lou - abso-LOU-tely for the girls trip. rock it.

Alij said...

Well now I am all nervous about posting as I am going to make it 35, but 35 is a good number...that's how old I will be this year plus even though it's not an even number, it's a nice round number.

Thanks for the shout out Aunt Lou...looking forward to seeing you in less than a month...I don't know whether I should thank you or charge you for teaching Ryan how to woo Lily! Poor Alistair and his grey hair...to be surrounded by all these girls...

Betsy-We are thinking about you and Ryan, Lucy is well although the crazy dog figured out how to open the door of the office in the night and come downstairs and get in our bed(which I had vacated as Lily had a bad dream about Scooby Doo and wanted to sleep in our bed, so I had moved to her bed!)...all this with her pink cast still intact mind you...she seems no worse for wear, we tried to contain her, honest we did...

Anonymous said...

huh?

picture of the day

picture of the day
merry christmas & happy new year! we'll be back in 2009!