worth a thousand words: pictures we love

worth a thousand words: pictures we love
higgins family ready for THE BOSS

20 June 2008

6 words

today i was flipping through title nine, a catalog i clearly receive because of my surfing abilities, when i came across an interesting message from the company's founder. she said she'd recently read an article about writing your biography in 6 words. she, along with a few of her employees, tried the exercise and came up with some interesting stuff.

as a person who has almost no trouble with words - especially spoken - i found myself scared to attempt to write my own 6 word biography. what a task! i am not easily intimidated by exercises such as these but this one got to me. to describe your life in such a concise way is frightening...what if you leave something out? what if your reader misses the point? what if you don't get the point across? i decided to post this exercise in part to make myself complete it and in part because i am curious to see how your 6 word biography will read. there were a million things i could have written (of course) but i think i got it right. enjoy my 6 word biography and have fun writing your own and check out what others have to say here.

betsy...a biography in six words

love unconditionally. follow through. leave footprints.

32 comments:

Anonymous said...

what a wonderful message! i will be thinking of my 6 things. i can sum up the picture of the day in 6 words: WHAT ON EARTH IS WIL EATING!?

I literally laughed out loud!

The Giorgios said...

Hmmm...this is a challenge I'm excited about. Will get back to you on the at one. Yours is right on!

Now, about that picture...as pay back, you have to come over here and scoop the cats litter box...with your fingers.

the higgins family said...

i wish like hell i could remember the "scene" we were creating with that shot...if i could, i'd post them all.....mine are especially horrible.

The Giorgios said...

That "scene" was my that my blog had just been nominated for a Best Blog Ever Award. I was going for "overcome with excitment", but it came out "Jess does her best Joker impersonation." I'm blaming it on the booze.

me, dummy said...

wow, dang betsy! and on a friday, no less. well screw all the (piles and loads of) work on my desk. i'm devoting myself to this project. but uh...let me get back to you. this is HARD.

me, dummy said...

work hard. laugh often. cherish friends.

i think that'll do it.

Anonymous said...

Jess, your picture made me laugh as hard if not harder than Wil's did! I would get her back...

the higgins family said...

great one, em. very you!

Anonymous said...

this is very challenging, but i think i came up with one that suits me, please let me know if you agree or agree to disagree.

play hard.be adventurous.love.laugh

Anonymous said...

here's mine. i am following tia's lead. see if they discribe me!

driven. successful. patient. loved and funny!

the higgins family said...

lindsey & tia....GREAT JOB. both fit you to a T!!!

tracy bethel skincare said...

i love this!!! but it's hard!

loving yours and all the commenters'!!!

list oriented.thoughtful.listener.fun.planned.

Rita Jr. said...

This IS hard...

Loved. Patient listener. Spiritual. Seeks smiles.

denise, the honey crew said...

shoot! tracy bethel skincare is me. but you should check it out - it's my sister in law...

so anyway, that's not tracy's bio, it's mine:

list oriented.thoughtful.listener.fun.planner.

rita - good one! i love yours. and am upset with myself that i didn't include spiritual! that being said, i probably should have put critical in there!

i'm going for a drink!

Rita Jr. said...

D - yours is fantastic!....so, critical drinker? is that right? ; )

the higgins family said...

good one denise & rita....i loved this exercise and think everyone did great. all very true to self.

there are so MANY things that sum me up...hard to try to get it down to 6 but it was fun. i'm willing to bet that if i were to attempt the same exercise tomorrow that it might read differently. that's the great thing about us...we are never static.

and, BUMMER, that tracy wasn't commenting. i was so excited and about to say - tracy! how fun! - anyway...love you, d and tracy's website is FABULOUS!

Unknown said...

sweat, smile, learn. leave no regrets.

the higgins family said...

heather...PERFECT for you. i, too, almost used something about leaving no regrets. i could probably write 20 6 word biographies.

The Giorgios said...

Adventurously seeking answers. Loving every minute.


The last delete was me. If I only get six word, at least I should spell the correctly.

the higgins family said...

JESSICA...love yours! love it!

The Giorgios said...

And then I don't even spell "them" right. It's Friday...where is my wine (how's that for 6 words)?

denise, the honey crew said...

oooohhhhh....heather i like it! love sweat!!! jess - love seeking answers! maybe mine should read:

envious of all others' six words.

this is like a virtual happy hour! if only it was live :-(

ugh....guess i should add: cup half full sometimes...

Anonymous said...

Betsy, true about if we did this tomorrow we would all have different answers. It is hours later and I think I could think of 6 more...and the are NOT so positive!

Anonymous said...

I forgot to add. I think I need to take advantage of some of Tracy's skincare services, like the brow wax! Bets, what do you think!?!?!?
That was funny at Christmas and you know what I am talking about!

the higgins family said...

lou - hilarious...absolutely take advantage of tracy's brow wax....TODAY! it's 10% off or something...if she sees your brows she will give you 50% off! :)

why are your words bad? fighting with k?

Anonymous said...

actually, i am going to call her. you will not recognize me when you pick me up at the airport! : D

nope, not fighting with k. just a mood change i guess. ya know!

Anonymous said...

brushing on a toothbrush will do it to ya.bles his little cottons
6 words= live life as today is your last

Unknown said...

Hey Betsy.
Glad you enjoyed the sneak peek! The full gallery will be up soon.
Love your blog. I am just now getting really into mine. I want it to be more than just a "preview" place, I am just starting to find my voice.
So, for your excercise, here is mine:
Strong.Weak.True Friend.Problem Solver.

It was HARD!
Sorry to hear about your MIL. I wish you and your family peace.
T:)

Anonymous said...

i am gagging for him.
your tribute to ryans mum is so gracious and so meaningfull.
for your exercise :
a chance is worth the thought!!!

Anonymous said...

love your 6 word bio, Bets. still pondering my mine...

Anonymous said...

I have two biographies...

My daily self and most truthful bio:

"live to eat, hate to diet"

and my deeper attempt at my true being:

"overcome pain, see good, be vocal"

Anonymous said...

ok, it has taken several days but here's mine...always try to give my best.

picture of the day

picture of the day
merry christmas & happy new year! we'll be back in 2009!