worth a thousand words: pictures we love

worth a thousand words: pictures we love
higgins family ready for THE BOSS

22 August 2009

Michael Vick divides a nation | Dog Time


Michael Vick divides a nation | Dog Time


Posted using ShareThis

6 comments:

the higgins family said...

I am almost certain everyone has given up on my blog. But in the event you haven't I am posting this article. The Michael Vick story is a story that crushes me. I do not understand how anyone could commit such a henious crime and be allowed to be released from jail, have a parade in their honor in their hometown, and go on to make 9.9m over the next two years playing a sport. This article is the best I've read on the subject and most clearly sums up how I feel.

Rita Jr. said...

I've not given up on your blog, B.

This is a good article. I was HORRIFIED when i watched 60 Minutes and heard him say "when they closed the door" was when he 'realized' he'd done wrong. Just like the author here said, he doesn't get it. And that's how i also felt. I hadn't given the happening a whole lot of attention, but when I watched 60 Minutes, I was just so sad. I have to admit, I have felt that he was caught, charged and did his time. He served, and our just ice system worked. For example, Donte Stallworth killed a human being, received a 30 day jail sentence but was released after serving 24 days, along with some other community service, house arrest and probation. But I fully understand that in Stallworth's case, it was an accident and not necessarily intentional (but driving drunk, you know you are driving drunk and what it can do). But somehow, that just doesn't seem right either. There are guys playing that have treated their wives and girlfriends horrifically and they still get to play and we just chalk it up to 'domestic issues' and move on to the next news story. In Vick's case, what strikes me as so ugly is his lack of character. I expected to see on 60 Minutes a more pulled together and pleadingly remorseful guy. Wow - he was far from that. He just still doesn't get it. And that's just so flippin' sad.

Rita Jr. said...

this article is dead on...thanks for posting it and sharing. i had no idea the EXTENT of everything he was doing (cuz i didn't want to know) jeez.

The Giorgios said...

I'd like to put him in a ring with a grizzly and wager a bet!

I also haven't given up on your blog.

the higgins family said...

Rita, I agree about Stallworth. I don't think he should be on the field making millions either. I also agree that Vick has served the time appointed to him and that is fine; however, he should be spending the rest of his life making minimum wage cleaning out dog cages at a shelter instead of hearing the cheers of fans from a football field for close to $10m. See the USA today article today where he talks about feeling great as he heard the cheers of 1000s last night during his debut as an Eagle.

Rita Jr. said...

SIGH. That article just put me in a foul mood.

picture of the day

picture of the day
merry christmas & happy new year! we'll be back in 2009!